Friday, July 20, 2012

BDSM - Play that has an Impact

One of the things I usually include in my BDSM books is some sort of impact play and everytime I write one of the scene’s I wonder what readers will think when they read it. It’s more than just if they’ll like the scene or not, whether they find it sexy or titillating. I worry, particularly for those not familiar with the lifestyle, whether they’ll understand it. Will it raise questions for them about what’s being used, how it feels, why the submissive likes it? Of course, I try to include enough information to answer those questions but it doesn’t stop me from wondering. So as part of the Unleashed Blog Hop I decided to write about impact play. What it is, what’s used, how it feels when I experience it and anything else I can think of as I go along.

I’m not going to be discussing why people enjoy impact play, that’s an individual thing but I will include one of my heroine’s thoughts on the matter. This small excerpt is from Finding Angel. It’s Angel’s thoughts as she admires the marks left on her after receiving a caning from Daniel.

Angel didn’t really understand the whole pleasure-from-pain scenario. She had stopped trying to figure out why the sting from a cane or bite of a firm hand on her ass aroused her. All Angel knew was that it did, and she was happy to accept that fact as part of her sexual desire and need.

Just so everyone is on the same page, when I talk about Impact play I’m referring to the following; striking a person repeatedly as a source of erotic stimulation or punishment. Impact play is sometimes referred to as an edge activity particularly if the play is performed with the intent of leaving deep tissue bruising. It can involve activities such as flogging, spanking, paddling, and whipping. There are lots of different toys and objects that can be used for impact play so here’s a quick run down of some of the popular ones you might encounter in a BDSM novel.

The Cane: No, I’m not talking about grandpa’s walking stick that’s solid and thick with a rubber stopper on the end. BDSM canes are long, thin, smooth, flexible tools often made of bamboo. Canes make a lovely whooshing sound when whipped forcefully through the air, although personally, I wouldn’t want to be at the end of that impact. You may hear the impact described as a bite or sting. For me, they are both perfect descriptions of how they feel. The cane stings like a…well, you get the idea. For me the threat of being caned will illicit perfect behavior. It’s not my favorite activity when it comes to impact play.  Depending on the severity of the strike a cane can leave long thin red lines on flesh, welting (which is sometimes slow to rise) and in some instances it can break the skin. The cane is usually used on the ass only.
The Flogger: These come in many varieties and are sometimes also referred to as whips. They have a solid handle with multiple tails (strands) extending from the handle. They can be made of leather, rubber, rope or sometimes hair. There can be as few as a couple of tails up to as many as fifty and the tails varying in length, so you can get short, medium and long tail floggers. The impact is often described as a thud, which I agree is a pretty accurate description. For me it sometimes feels like a hard push against the body on initial impact and there is also often a slight stinging sensation as the tips of the tails flick against the skin. It reddens the skins, sometimes leaves light, bruise like marks. Floggers are usually used on the thighs, ass and genitals. I personally love the flogger. It may surprise some readers to know I find the flogger has a relaxing effect when used on my shoulder blades. It’s almost like a deep tissue massage for me…yes I’m a little odd.
The Paddle: These are flat objects made of wood, leather, or similar materials. Paddles look a bit like a table tennis bat, even though they are not always round in shape. The flat surface reddens the skin and can leave a bruise. For me the impact is like a hard, firm smack and as the skin reddens and heats it can feel a bit like hot, prickly sunburn. Paddling is usually done on the buttocks and/or inner-thighs.
The Crop: Yep, picture a horse riding crop and you know what it looks like. The shaft of the crop has cane-like qualities both with the sensation and effect on the skin. Sting…ouch…yes Sir, I promise to behave. Crops usually have a little loop of leather at the end which I must say is the only part I really like. Gentle quick slaps of that on your clit or nipples is sooo nice…but I digress. Like the cane it is mainly used on the ass. As well as used to administer punishment crops are also used in pony play activities.


The Single Tail Whip: Come on cowboy, crack that whip (preferably not on my ass because it can cut the skin. I choose not to engage in play with this kind of whip. These whips are usually between 3 and 6 feet in length, they are made from leather with a string-like material 'cracker' at the tip. I’ve been whipped once (and I mean one strike). It hurt, left a gash on my butt check and I used my safe word, jumped around holding my bottom and called the Dom lots of nasty names. 

There are lots of other impact toys like the Tawse, Straps, Slappers, belts, beaters and the list goes on if you include the household items that often get used. You can imagine the sorts of things, hairbrushes, wooden spoons etc.   

For me impact play is guaranteed to send me into subspace, particularly if it involves the flogger, but there are safety issues that need to be addressed when someone decides to engage in impact activities. For me, I only ever play with an experienced Dom who knows and respects my limits and who I have absolute trust in. After all I am literally putting my body into his hands. Things can go wrong and injuries can occur so be careful.

I’ve included a link below to a blog about safe impact play. Please click on it and read it. It’s written by an experienced Dom who’s been in the lifestyle for many years. I have his permission to direct readers to the blog and I encourage everyone to take a look and become aware of the risks involved and how to manage them. 


Don't forget to enter our majotr prize draw by filling in the form below. Good Luck to you all.





19 comments:

  1. What a great post! I am also now following Chris's blog. :) I think that I would love to try the flogger, but I agree with Artemis that the cane and whip sound a bit like a hard limit to me. Fine line between pleasure and pain. :) You always have such informative posts and I really love visiting here daily to see what's going on in the Dungeon, so to speak. You ladies rock!

    Erzabet

    erzabetwrites (at) gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having such a great hop! Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Post!! I must admit I like the flogger. Right now I love my leather one. I don't like the paddle much, but I like when my husband uses his hand. I haven't tried the cane or riding crop. Not sure I want to.
    Mel
    bournmelissa at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so sure all impact play would be for me...so a no go...maybe a flogger...would be fun:)
    andieleah78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried impact play before but am open to new things.

    mythic021@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes impact play can be fun and relaxing, but I agree, no cane's or whips for me.

    proudarmymom32(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much what a great post and fun blog hop!
    latisha D
    tishajean@ charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like light impact, nothing to rough. I have to take blood thinners for a tendency of developing clots, so I could not participate in really hard impact play. But it does intrigue me ;)
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the blog and the link. I like light impact play and you make a good point about it being about the individual.
    Patricia
    panthers.ravens@yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the description. When I've read about them, I wasn't sure exactly what was what. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. Very informative and helpful to those interested in impact play.Thanks for the link as well.

    Gabrielle
    meingee@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a very enlightening post. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain impact play and how they feel.
    I've wanted to try some spanking just to see if I'd like how it felt. My husband and I don't have any experience at all with D/s or BDSM. I've no clue if I could be submissive. This weeks posts have been interesting and I've a lot.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Post- Now I can pick my toy of choice and know its use:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone, I'm glad you found it interesting and useful for those wondering about some of the toys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Thank you for describing what I've been wondering about.
    suz2(at)cox(dot)net

    ReplyDelete